*Please click on images to view fullscreen
This is my blog where I hope to show you some of the things I get up to with my camera. I shoot with an Olympus OMD E M10 and while I only have a few lenses I find they suit most of my needs. My main style of photography is macro and for this I use a M.Zuiko 60mm macro lens. This makes a nice lightweight and small combination which is ideal when carrying around and squeezing into odd positions just to try and get that shot. I have been using this combo for around 12 months and only now am I starting to get results that I'm really happy with. Below are a few shots from my recent sessions
![]() |
| Horsefly |
![]() |
| Horsefly |
When shooting macro alot of the time I use flash with a homemade diffuser/bouncecard which allows me to turn up the aperture to f8.This gives me a greater depth of field(DOF) and gives me more chance of getting the eyes in focus which is essential in my opinion. At f8 I still manage to get a reasonable bokeh as long as I pay attention to the background when shooting.
![]() |
| Sorrel |
At other times I will use natural light and use a larger aperture- occasionally going down as low as f2.8 if it gives the effect Im after. The problem with bright sunlight(and flash) is that sometimes you will be shooting a subject which has reflective highlights. This is particularly true of moths(which are my main subject) and it can be tricky to find the ideal conditions to shoot these in. I recently shot a few Nomad bees in bright sunlight and while the eyes came out with the detail I wanted there were spectral highlights all over the bodies(below)
![]() |
| Nomad Bee |
While you can see the eye is clear and well lit you can also notice the reflected sunlight off the wings and the upper abdomen. There is also a very clear shadow underneath which all shows that when this shot was taken there was too much light.
In future posts I hope to show how I get round these problems and also to introduce you to the moths I have mentioned. Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment






No comments:
Post a Comment